Wednesday, June 1, 2011

3 LESSONS FROM A FALL

There’re two major reasons why I’m fond of my job. First, I get to sleep till late, much after the rest of the world has irritably dragged its feet towards sordid workplaces. Second, by the time my work hours are over, the rest of the world is too tired or convention-bound to stay outside home- giving me and my motorcycle the chance to act as if the streets belonged to us.
It was one of those particularly silent nights. By that, I mean the kind of nights when the sound of the motorcycle engine is a lot like Shahnaz Husain’s make-up- the louder it is, the more fun it seems to be.
So, I wring the throttle harder, harder, harder, and the bike goes faster, faster, faster, until I suddenly discover myself lying under a heap of twisted metal. My clothes are torn, and my hand hurts when I try to move it. So I lie on the road, stare at the starry sky, and make three quick observations:


1. Everyone hurts:
None of us imagine ourselves being part of accidents, but accidents happen in scary numbers everyday. I was a regular guy (Who, like regular guys, wants a loving wife and intelligent kids to go back home to) returning from work and trying to have some fun on an almost empty street. But then, as sparks flew from my bike’s handlebars’ scraping against the concrete, I was regretting getting the paintjob done but leaving the wheel alignment for later. Don’t wait for such sparks to enlighten you about the need to keep your bike in good repair and the saneness of riding responsibly. You can’t predict accidents, but you sure can minimise their probability.

2. Be smart. Ride safe:
I always thought protective clothing is for wimps and the ‘real fun’ of riding motorcycles lay in feeling the wind in your hair and letting your loose shirt flutter in the air like Superman’s cape. But the month-long bruises and cuts after the accident taught me that even if you’re a worthless good-for-nothing, you’ll repent hurting yourself if it means not being able to do what you love the most- like riding a motorcycle. Remember this golden rule-Accidents hurt, safety doesn’t.
And by the way, one doesn’t always need to buy an Alpinestars riding jacket or DSG racing boots to show concern for one’s life. A full-sleeved jacket, gloves, durable shoes and an ISI/DOT marked helmet will save you from most ‘road rash’ during minor falls. This is the least you should have on if you claim to love biking. Don’t worry if the helmet spoils your hairstyle. The ‘messed up’ look is in.

3. Save some friends on the road:
“Bohot sahi,” the lone rickshawpuller on the street remarked as he lazily pedalled his rickshaw away from the spot of the accident. In retrospect, I think anyone would show the same apathy towards a person who puts others’ life at risk simply for experiencing a moment of rush. Every time we swerve dangerously from one lane to another or overtake from the left side of a vehicle, startling the driver, we lose a friend on the road- people who would, if nothing else, sympathise with us when we take a fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment